2007 Doctor of Musical Arts in Saxophone Performance, Jazz Studies as related field. University of North Texas – Denton, Texas
2001 Master of Music Education Summa Cum Laude University of Central Oklahoma – Edmond, Oklahoma
1998 Bachelor of Arts in Saxophone Performance Summa Cum Laude Oklahoma City University – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2013-present Associate Professor of Saxophone and Jazz Studies University of Oregon, School of Music and Dance
Saxophone Studio class of Fall 2015 has 19 students. Additional duties: Teach saxophone techniques class to music education majors. Teach saxophone pedagogy and literature class. Coach saxophone quartets and saxophone sectionals, advise graduate and undergraduate students, and recruit.
2008-2013 Assistant Professor of Saxophone and Jazz Studies at the University of Oregon. Same duties as above.
2005-2008 Instructor of Saxophone and Jazz Studies at the University of Oregon.
Same duties as above.
2005 Teaching Fellow, University of North Texas.
Four O’clock Lab Band Director: Initiated, programmed and promoted concerts, Organized a recording session. Saxophone studio teacher for both Jazz Studies and Classical Performance majors.
2004 Teaching Fellow, University of North Texas Nine O’clock Lab Band Director
2002 – 2003 Saxophone Studios (Private Instruction) in Celina and Trophy Club, Texas 2000 – 2001 Graduate Assistant, University of Central Oklahoma
Jazz Ensemble III Assistant director, Wind Ensemble assistant
Clinics and Master Classes Presented 2008-2016 (selected list)
North American Saxophone Alliance National Conference (Texas) • OMEA (Oregon) • Tel-Aviv Conservatory (Israel) • Jerusalem Conservatory (Israel) • Zichron Ya’akov (Israel) • Hunyung University (Korea) • Seoul Arts Institute (Korea) • SUNY Potsdam (New York) • Northern Arizona University (Arizona) • Luther College (Iowa) • University of Northern Iowa (Iowa) • Columbia College (Chicago) • Frank Mantooth Jazz Festival (Illinois) • Oklahoma State University (Oklahoma) • University of Puget Sound (Washington) • Pacific Lutheran University (Washington) • San Jose State University (California) • University of the Pacific (California) • Irish Jazz Festival (Oregon) • Coos Bay College (Oregon) • Gonzaga University (Washington) • Reno Jazz Festival (Nevada) • North American saxophone Alliance region I conference (Idaho)
Events Organized (selected list)
2016 Concert and master class with Ann Bradfield Concert and master class with Otis Murphy
2014 Concert and master class with José A. Zayas Cabán 2013 Concert and master class with Kenneth Tse
2013 NASA region I meeting conference host; solicited proposals, programed and scheduled conference events.
2012 Concert and master class with Christopher Creviston
2011 Concert and master class with Duo Montagnard; Concert and master class with Oasis Saxophone Quartet; Saxophone studio travel and performance at NASA region I convention (Missoula, MO)
2010 Concert and master class with Noah Getz; concert and master class with Michael Holmes
2009 Saxophone studio travel and performance at NASA region I convention
2008 Concert and master class with James Umble
Master class with James Carter
2007 University of Oregon Saxophone Day (concerts, clinics, exhibitions and marketing), oncert and master class with U.S Army Saxophone Quartet
2006 Concert and master class with Otis Murphy
Recent Service for the North American Saxophone Alliance 2015-2016 Composition Competition committee, member 2015 Election committee, chair
2014 NASA Collegiate Jazz Competition, adjudicator
Recent Service at the University of Oregon
2016 University Senate, member, Jazz Studies Instructor Search, member Music Education Search committee, member
2015 Graduate committee, member University Senate, member
2013-2014 Graduate Committee, Branding Committee
2012 Graduate Committee, Clarinet Search Committee (co-chair)
2011 Graduate committee, Percussion Search Committee
2010 Graduate Committee, Director of Admissions Committee, Dean’s Faculty Advisory Committee
Research and Creative Activity: Publications
2009 Music for Saxophone and Harp. ISBN 978-3-8383-2001-4 VDM Verlagsservicegesellschaft mbH / LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
Compact Disc Recordings
2013 Le merle Noir. Origin Classics (OC 33017).
Received good airplay in the USA and Canada; was featured on Israel Herman’s radio show, “On the Wind.”
2009 Fissures: 20th Century Music for Saxophone and Harp. Origin Classics (OC 33008). With Yumiko Endo Schlaffer, harp. The CD features pieces for soprano, alto, tenor, bass saxophone and pedal harp. Repertoire by French, Dutch, Spanish, and American composers. Favorably reviewed by Dr. Joren Cain on The Saxophone Symposium. NPR’s “Morning Edition” of April 29 2010 played two tracks from the CD: Second movement from Jean-Louis Petit’s Sonatine and Benimeli’s Capricho Mediterraneo.
2008 Tuesday’s Blues. Origin’s OA2 label. (OA2 22046).
Album received great reviews on Jazz Times, Jazz Review, and All music Guide. Received and still receiving airplay on over 41 radio stations around the world.
Research and Creative Activity: Performances (selected list)
– Classical, recent* –
- Concerto for Soprano Saxophone and Band by William Bolcom. With Rodney Dorsey, conductor. 2 performances: in Beall hall and at CBDNA in Reno, NV
- Minerva by Evan C Paul, world premiere at North American Saxophone Alliance National Conference in Lubbock, TX
- Appeared on 2 Faculty recitals in Beall hall, in January and
- Numerous performances with the Eugene Symphony: Harbison, Gershwin, Prokofiev, Bernstein, Williams.
- Performances with the Eugene Ballet
- Performed a saxophone and harp program in eight different venues in California, Oregon, Washington
- Played with the Eugene Symphony and Orchestra NEXT, played Creation du Monde with Oregon Bach Festival in Eugene and Portland
- Played with the Oregon Wind Sextet in Eugene and Portland
- Gave solo recitals in three leading Iowa universities
- Performed at the North American Saxophone Alliance convention in Urbana, IL 2013 Performed on three different programs with the Eugene Symphony
- Played and taught a class at Manhattan School of Music, NYC
- Performed at the North American Saxophone Alliance convention in Arizona
- Toured with the Oregon Faculty Wind Quintet in the Seattle area, WA 2011 Performed the world Premiere of Jean-Louise Petit’s Concerto pour saxophones with the Oregon Wind Ensemble
- Recorded Guy Lacour’s Divertissemnet with the Oregon Percussion Ensemble (first studio recording of the piece)
- Performed Judith Cloud’s Concerto for Soprano saxophone and Orchestra with the Flagstaff Symphony, Flagstaff, AZ
- Performed a solo recital at the Oregon Bach Festival. This was the first time a saxophonist was invited to play at the festival.
- Performed a saxophone and harp recital at the Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam, NY
- Performed at the North American Saxophone Alliance biennial convention in Athens, GA
- Founded the Infinity Saxophone Quartet which toured the Pacific Northwest 2009 Performed a concert of contemporary Music for Two Saxophones in Tel-Aviv and Ramat Hasharon, Israel. With saxophone virtuoso Gan Lev
- Guest Artist for Oklahoma State University’s Wind Day. Three public recitals, master classes, large ensemble coaching (Stillwater, Oklahoma)
- Performed John Mackey’s Concerto for Soprano Saxophone with the University of Idaho wind ensemble
- Performed John Mackey’s Concerto for Soprano Saxophone with the Oregon Wind Ensemble
- Performed classical recital in Fayetteville, North Carolina and at the North American Saxophone Alliance Convention in Columbia, South Carolina; with pianist Scott Marosek
- Performed classical recital in University of Oregon; with pianist David Riley 2007 Performed Edison Denisov’s Concerto Piccolo at the Northwest Percussion
- Festival (Boise, Idaho), North American Saxophone Alliance Region I Meeting (Pulman, Washington), and at University of Oregon
- Performed Ida Gotkovsky’s Variations Pathetiques at the North American Saxophone Alliance Region I Meeting (Pulman, Washington), and at University of Oregon
- Played clarinet on SoundBytes (new music series), the music of Raymond Scott
- Played with the Oregon Symphony (Portland, Oregon)
– Jazz, recent* – 2016
- Played a “Bird Returns” show at the Jazz Station
- Played alto with the Cherry Poppin’ Daddies at Stamford Jazz Festival and Club Mexicali (New Jersey)
- Played clarinet and bass clarinet for Todd Sickafoose’s band, Jazz Station
- Led a “Tribute to Bird” night at the Jazz Station
- Played lead alto for Jessie Smith’s Big Band album; CD release tour in Eugene, Portland, and Spokane
- Performed live on KLCC
- Played two concert series with the Emerald City Jazz Kings
- Played on two Carl Woideck productions: “1959” and a Duke Ellington Concert
- Performed numerous times with the Shner Quartet 2013 Performed at regional NASA with Seamus Blake
- Extensive clarinet solo work on a Benny Goodman tribute show
- Shner jazz quartet played at NAfME in Portland, OR
- Northwest tour with Jangeun Bae. Radio broadcast on KMHD.fm Portland, OR 2011
- Concerts in Jaffa and Jerusalem, Israel with Gittit Boazson’s quartet
- Asia Jazz Tour with Jangun Bae. Nine concerts in Korea and Japan
- Idit Shner Quartet with Toby Koenigsberg (piano), Sam Howard (bass), and
- Jason Palmer (drums). Frequent jazz shows (Portland, Oregon), radio broadcast on KMHD 91.9fm
- Featured soloist at The Music of Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer, a jazz heritage project (Eugene, Oregon)
- Featured soloist at Happy Birthday, Duke! A jazz tribute concert to Duke Ellington (Eugene, Oregon)
- Featured soloist at a Tribute to Charles Mingus, a jazz concert at the Shedd Institute for the Arts (Eugene, Oregon)
- Played a jazz concert of music from the Jewish liturgy arranged for a jazz quartet at University of Oregon
- Played with a jazz quartet on SoundBytes, a concert series of new music curatted by Brian McWhorter
- Played lead in a SuperSax-style group (solos by Charlie Parker, Sonny Stitt, Phil Woods, arranged for 5 saxophones and rhythm section).
- Jazz concert with Ron Miles at the University of Oregon
For detailed performance schedule, please visit the events page.
Recordings (as a side person)
2015 “Tricks of Light”, Jessika Smith. PJCE records (alto, flute)
2014 Thick Line by Alex Temple, “New Millennium Music for Horn” Quadre Records, Inc. (tenor)
2006 Pushing Buttons by Andrew Walters, “Music from SEAMUS, vol. 16” (alto)
2005 Two o’clock Lab Band recording (lead alto)
2004 UNT Wind Symphony – Allegories (alto and baritone)
2003 Three O’clock Lab Band – live (lead alto)
2001 Alvaro’s Brazilian Jazz – Simplicity of Approach (flute)
2000 University of Central Oklahoma – Jazz Band (tenor)
Searls and Allen – Time & Again (soprano and alto)
1999 Jockimo – Live at Dooley’s, Swing Lo with Jockimo (tenor and alto)
2016 Concerto for Soprano Saxophone and Band / William Bolcom Minerva for alto saxophone and Piano / Evan C. Paul
2015 Sextet by Miklòs Maròs
2014 Behemoth for baritone saxophone and percussion / Roshanne Etezady
2013 Prelude and Fugue / Justin Morell
2011 Concerto pour saxophones / Jean-Louis Petit
2009 Pieces premiered during the Oregon Bach Festival’s Composers Symposium: Synthesis, Explained / Huckins • Quartet for a Stormy Night / Griffin • Growl, Spit, Shriek, and Pout / Collons • Troublesome / Zaccagnini • An Enchantment /Tinsley • Traffic-City / Dorsey • Gifts Ungiven / Kirschner • Night Blooming /Meites • Trio / Klein • Ponies to Nowhere / Bayer • Trio * 3.3 /X / Morell • Four Miniatures / Bogdan 2007 McKenzie Fanfare / Terry McQuillkin
2006 Pushing Buttons / Andrew Walters (also first recording)
2004 News Broadcast / Germaine Stegall • Yellowstone Blush / Lynn Job (also first recording) • Reflection No. 1 / Alejandro Florez
2003 Things such Dreams are Made On / Joshua Bradford
Honors and Awards
2016 University of Oregon Faculty Excellence Award. A University-wide award for retention and continuing research. $25,000 in research funds.
2015 Thomas F. Herman Award for Excellence in Pedagogy. A university-wide award “in recognition of achievement and expertise in the areas of studio teaching of saxophone technique and coaching of chamber music ensembles”
2009 Selmer performing artist/clinician
2006 Downbeat Magazine Student Music Award, for College Big Band Outstanding performance, with the Two o’clock Lab Band
2002 Jazz Studies Scholarship – University of North Texas
2001 Special Recognition for Outstanding Musicianship -Wichita Jazz Festival Classical Alto Saxophone Soloist with the University of Central Oklahoma Wind Ensemble
2000 Outstanding Graduate Student – University of Central Oklahoma
Special Recognition for Outstanding Musicianship -Wichita Jazz Festival
1999 Principal clarinetist with the OMEA/CBDA Intercollegiate Honor Band
Wind Studies Scholarship – University of Central Oklahoma
NASA North American Saxophone Alliance
NAfME National Association for Music Education
OMEA Oregon Music Educators Association
PKL Pi Kappa Lambda, a society for musical and scholarly excellence